SIO         

Assessment of skills using a virtual reality temporal bone surgery simulator

Valutazione delle competenze nella chirurgia dell’osso temporale con un simulatore della realtà virtuale

R. Linke1, A. Leichtle2, F. Sheikh3, C. Schmidt4, H. Frenzel1, H. Graefe5, B. Wollenberg1, J.E. Meyer5

1 University of Luebeck, Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery, Luebeck, Germany; 2 Clinics of the City of Bielefeld, Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Bielefeld, Germany; 3 University of California- San Diego, Department of Medicine (Cardiology Division), School of Medicine, BSB 5042, La Jolla, California, USA; 4 Clinics of the City of Koeln, Germany; 5 Clinics St. Georg Hamburg, Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery, Hamburg, Germany

FULL TEXT - PDF DOCUMENT

Summary

Surgery on the temporal bone is technically challenging due to its complex anatomy. Precise anatomical dissection of the human temporal bone is essential and is fundamental for middle ear surgery. We assessed the possible application of a virtual reality temporal bone surgery simulator to the education of ear surgeons. Seventeen ENT physicians with different levels of surgical training and 20 medical students performed an antrotomy with a computer-based virtual temporal bone surgery simulator. The ease, accuracy and timing of the simulated temporal bone surgery were assessed using the automatic assessment software provided by the simulator device and additionally with a modified Final Product Analysis Scale. Trained ENT surgeons, physicians without temporal bone surgical training and medical students were all able to perform the antrotomy. However, the highly trained ENT surgeons were able to complete the surgery in approximately half the time, with better handling and accuracy as assessed by the significant reduction in injury to important middle ear structures. Trained ENT surgeons achieved significantly higher scores using both dissection analysis methods. Surprisingly, there were no significant differences in the results between medical students and physicians without experience in ear surgery. The virtual temporal bone training system can stratify users of known levels of experience. This system can be used not only to improve the surgical skills of trained ENT surgeons for more successful and injury-free surgeries, but also to train inexperienced physicians/medical students in developing their surgical skills for the ear.

Riassunto

La chirurgia dell’osso temporale è difficile dal punto di vista tecnico a causa della sua complessa anatomia. La precisa dissezione anatomica è però essenziale e fondamentale per la chirurgia dell’orecchio medio. Nel nostro studio abbiamo valutato il possibile utilizzo di un simulatore virtuale nella chirurgia dell’osso temporale per la formazione di chirurghi in questo campo. Diciassette medici ORL con diversi livelli di formazione chirurgica e venti studenti di medicina hanno eseguito una antrotomia con un simulatore virtuale di chirurgia temporale ossea collegato ad un PC. La leggerezza, l’accuratezza e il tempo impiegato per l’intervento simulato all’osso temporale sono stati valutati utilizzando sia un software automatico di valutazione collegato al dispositivo simulatore sia una scala modificata per l’analisi finale del prodotto. I chirurghi ORL esperti, i medici senza esperienza chirurgica dell’osso temporale ma anche gli studenti di medicina sono stati tutti in grado di eseguire l’antrotomia. Tuttavia i chirurghi ORL altamente qualificati erano in grado di completare l’intervento in circa la metà del tempo, con una migliore maneggevolezza del trapano e una maggiore precisione, come dimostrato dalla significativa riduzione di lesioni a importanti strutture dell’orecchio medio. I chirurghi ORL con maggiore esperienza hanno ottenuto punteggi significativamente più alti con entrambi i metodi di analisi. Sorprendentemente non sono state trovate differenze significative nei risultati ottenuti dagli studenti di medicina e dai medici senza esperienza nella chirurgia dell’orecchio. L’utilizzo del sistema virtuale per interventi all’osso temporale è in grado di stratificare gli utenti in base ai livelli noti di esperienza. Questo sistema può essere utilizzato non solo per migliorare le competenze chirurgiche di operatori esperti per interventi di maggior successo e senza lesioni, ma anche per aiutare i medici senza esperienza e gli studenti di medicina a sviluppare le loro competenze chirurgiche all’orecchio.